Growing with Galway …
Lydon House Catering Ltd (which is part of the Thomas Lydon & Son Ltd Group) can trace its roots back to 1911 when Lydon House Ltd was first established in Galway. Originally a bakery in the centre of Galway. We have grown to become the exclusive hospitality partners for the Galway Races, Ballinrobe Races and Roscommon Races.
Lydon House was started by Thomas Lydon in Prospect Hill, Galway. Earliest records of the company date back to incorporation in 1911.
Then opening in Shop Street with a Shop in 1916 selling baked goods made on the premises. In 1936 a restaurant was added upstairs and became a very popular dining and meeting establishment. The success of the operation was largely due to this restaurant being the only place to eat out at the time apart from the hotels. In the 1940s a bakery in Dominick Street, Galway was acquired. This was acquired for the World War II rationed raw material allowances which were transferred to the Shop Street Bakery and restaurant. A shop was then opened in Dominic Street serving bread, cakes and groceries. This outlet was sold in the 1970s.
In 1950 Middle Street outlet was acquired for the bakery, catering, restaurant and the Shop Street business was transferred to this premises. In 1954 Shop Street was turned into a delicatessen. Various improvements took place over the years and No. 5 and No. 6 Shop street were turned in the one building.
Marketing in the past …
Lydon House always leading with innovation, this collection of place mats were used right through up until the 1980s. Very popular as a souvenir with tourists to the city and great talking points with local diners.
Lydon House being innovators and ensuring that their employees were included and informed. The company produced a seasonal in-house news letter which highlighted their follow workers and company progress – plus some fun and puzzles! Below are samples of just 3 copies of these magazines form the 70s & 80s.
Galway a proud city …
Below is a documentary on Galway old and new, capturing in glorious colour in this 1957 Bord Fáilte (now Fáilte Ireland) tourism film produced and directed by Colm Ó Laoghaire. In 1957 Lydon House was in full operation in Shop Street.